Sunday, November 6, 2011

i love vintage books


i love books.

they have been my dearest friends since i began reading at age three. they are why i have to wear contacts now...apparently, reading under the covers with a flashlight is really bad for your eyes!

i should've studied in college to become a librarian. but at 18, i was still worried about being cool. i wish me NOW could go back in time to me THEN and shake some sense into myself.

i'd also tell myself to stay away from lychee martinis.
but that's another story.

when i think about being a librarian, i picture this:
but really, i'd probably be more like this:

which is perfectly okay.

but anyway...BOOKS.
i love 'em.
especially old ones.
old children's books, to be exact.
and i just found a TREASURE TROVE of them at our church rummage sale.
here's a peek at my find:
these beauties were published in the 40s, 50s and 60s.
i'm happy to say i wasn't born yet.
{that magnificent event happened in the 70s.}

these are my kokeshi dolls.
my daddy brings them back to me from his trips to japan.
two of those books were found in a local used book store.
the Little Runner book has been mine since i was very small.

can i just say, i'm terrified that the printed book is becoming obsolete? i absolutely REFUSE to purchase a kindle, or a nook, or any of those newfangled electronic devices.

i adore the printed book...the smell of the paper, the feel of the edges after they've been turned a million times, the way you can tell how much a book is beloved by the cracks in the binding. books are my best friends.

1 comment:

  1. Score! Love it! I have to laugh at how much we have in common. I just found a 1963 edition of The Swiss Family Robinson a couple of weeks ago at the thrift shop and have been so excited. I was planning on blogging about it soon with a few other of my vintage finds. Wouldn't it be so much fun to go to those big antique/thrift kine stores on the mainland and find all sorts of fun vintage goodies and treasures? Sigh. Check this one out: http://www.bearlymakinitantiques.com/
    Great post. Thanks for sharing. Oh and I love those little kokeshi dolls too. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete